Friday, May 2, 2008

Decreasing Costs

One of my largest expenses is gasoline. I'm sure it's not a mystery to anyone that fuel costs are increasing and now I'm spending almost $80 to fill my tank. This is a problem because like many young American men I enjoy a love affair with driving and consider it a necessity to be able to drive myself anywhere on a moments notice without a second thought (the same reason I used to own an AWD sedan for northeast winters).

In an effort to rediscover my driving freedom I have decided to sell my 95' 530i BMW (20 mpg avg.) and purchase a 97'-98' Honda Civic HX (34 mpg avg.). The Honda is a less expensive car and I expect to have around $1000 left over after selling my Bimmer. This will go directly to my Zecco account to be invested; turning liabilities into assets, that's what it's all about.

In order to receive the best possible price for my current vehicle here are a few things I do to prepare.

1. Make it look pretty.

Get out the wax, Windex, and leather cleaner and give the car a good detail.

2. Make calculated judgements

If there are items that need replacing, determine whether it is worth fixing before selling it. In my own situation, the front bumper needed new trim and a left fog light; I got both for $40 off Craigslist. Something cheap and easy to replace can boost the value enough to warrant a replacement. The other side of the spectrum would be for example the drivers seat which is showing excessive ware. To replace that seat, with a used one in better condition would cost well over $300 and I wouldn't even expect to get that back after selling the car.

3. Sell at the right time

BMW's and generally all rear-wheel drive cars sell better during spring and are harder to sell during fall and winter when most drivers have an AWD or 4X4 in mind. Kinda like buying and selling a motorcycle.

4. The test drive

During test drives with potential buyers, be mindful of where you go. If your cars suspension is on the way out, take them on nice smooth roads where that feature won't stand out. But this doesn't mean to not be...

5. HONEST

An honest person always comes off as genuine which is the most important ingredient when selling anything.

No comments: