Wednesday, May 7, 2008

401(k) Adjustment

Today I went ahead and adjusted my 401(k) to 1% over my employers match down from 22%. I added 1% to the match because I want to ashore I meet the requirements for the company match. If I were to allocate less then the company match, I wouldn't meet the requirements and the company wouldn't add any money.
The reason I did this is to donate more money to investments I can take advantage of right now! The money in retirement accounts can only be tapped (I'm not including things like home purchase, sickness, ect.) after the much later years of 59 and 1/2. This age is unacceptable.
So why don't I just reduce my 401(k) contribution to 0%, you may ask. Well, my momma didn't raise no fool and if you want to give me free money I'll take it.
p.s. check out this website which explains government subsidized loans as well as other benefits to take advantage of for first time home buyers.

No comments: