Monday, April 14, 2008

How To Spend Other People's Money

It was recently my birthday, a side affect of this occurrence is people close to me decide they want to buy me stuff. Usually people buy things they think are meaningful and what usually happens is they either collect dust (what they were destined to do in the first place) or are regifted.
This doesn't happen in my family because we have an extremely evolved gift giving practice. When the individual who's birthday it is, is asked what they want, they simple reply with the item and/or place to purchase the gift or they just request cash. This negates having the gift giving party wasting time, attention, and energy giving a gift that wasn't needed or even wanted. Their are exceptions of course, like a very thoughtful gift from my sister (Quicken Software) which she thought I would want but wasn't specifically asked for. She is of course going to buy the sunglasses I requested of her. Chillies Eye Gear (a.k.a Pepper's Eyeware) are great by the way, cheap polarized lenses, that you won't kick yourself for breaking or loosing them because their so inexpensive.
Another example of intelligent gift giving practices my family uses would be how I'm waiting until June (Father's Day) to purchase tools because they will be on sale like they are every year, instead of right now. The only problem with this one is my Grandma loves to give and waiting until June to give me my birthday gift maybe requesting to much ; ).

No comments: